Pages

Monday, March 30, 2015

Losing Is A Disease -

Driving home from the Murray game I was something I haven't been in a very long time - angry. I get frustrated from time to time, but not angry. I'm not sure how I let this game get to me at that level. 

After returning home from a weekend away with 7 smelly and immature scouts, I was still a little upset about the game and went back to one of my filed documents entitled something like "life changing advice". I have a list of talks and quotes that I've gathered throughout the last 10 or so years of my life. There were 2 things that I gleaned from the advice on these documents.

#1 - Never let failure progress from an action to an identity. One of the biggest predictors of success is the ability to fail, learn from that failure and move forward with a better knowledge of how to succeed. Failing isn't the problem, not learning from the failure and working on the solution is.

#2 There was a U of U football player who lost a really tough football match. He told his mother about it and she gave him this advice, "come what may and love it."

He further commented, "I don’t think my mother was suggesting that we suppress discouragement or deny the reality of pain. I don’t think she was suggesting that we smother unpleasant truths beneath a cloak of pretended happiness. But I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life."

"If we approach adversities wisely, our hardest times can be times of greatest growth, which in turn can lead toward times of greatest happiness."

As mentioned, how we react to adversity will lead to either greater happiness or unnecessary suffering. Greater progress, growth and capability or digression, damnation and disillusionment. Sports is a great way to learn this great lesson that our attitude and work ethic are much more important than a single event.

What did you learn from our failure on Friday?

What are you going to do about it?

How is it going to make you better?

Text "come what may and love it" before today's practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment