Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

I've been trying to process this game in my mind, were we tired? Was Park City in better shape than us? Was it the turf? The ref? Did we understimate them?

I'm not sure what to think of the main problem, but it seems like there were a couple factors here at play that all affected us. I think there was a great deal of individual effort in spurts, but we really never came together as a team to connect consistently enough to tire out the other team. We played well in the final third, but had a tough time finishing very straightforward chances.

I want to highlight something more important from this game and from the CC game. Here are the 2 emails that I received from opposing players:

From Park City:


"My name is Charlie Urban. I am the goalie for Park City High School. To begin with, I would like to formally apologize for my ill-tempered behavior. What I did out there was irresponsible and impudent. I have no idea what factors led to my undesirable actions, but I want you and number 8 to know I am sincerely sorry. Also, no my coach did not make me write this, I just feel resentful towards my mannerism and I hope if we meet again I behave appropriately."

"I play on Corner Canyon's Soccer team. During tonight's game I said some things I regret and usually don't say. I was frustrated and lost my head. 
As a result I changed my behavior. I would appreciate it if you read this to your players so they can know that I'm sorry as well. I talked to a few after the game and apologized. I don't want to represent Corner Canyon in the way that I did. Who I was tonight wasn't me and it didn't truthfully reflect me or my school. The one thing that sucks about sports is that you make enemies with people that you don't know, and it's because you have the same goal. I don't want to make enemies with any of your players so I apologize for my behavior this afternoon. You guys have a great soccer program and I look forward to playing you guys again."

Here's my email back:

"I just received your email and am very impressed with your willingness to apologize. It shows a lot about you, not only as a player, but as an individual.

Though sports does have the ability to bring out the worst in people, it also has the ability to bring out the best. I’m not sure that you realize this yet, but you sending this email is sports bringing out the best in you. Sometimes it takes a mistake to do that and we all make mistakes. Just don’t let the mistakes define you and in this case it hasn’t, your apology has!

I’m going to post your email on my blog www.mrtsoccer.blogspot.com tonight and will make sure they all read it. I’m really proud of you and glad we get to play against players like you."

I hope that our conduct on the field and off the field reflects to others the person we want them to see. I will never forget when I lost my temper and threw another player out of the indoor arena after he punched me in the back of the head. My parents, girlfriend and other people were in the stands and I felt so stupid. I went to apologize to the other player later and he wouldn't accept my apology. I had a hard time forgiving myself, but knew that I never wanted that to happen again. 

We all make mistakes and what we do after the mistake is much more important than the mistake itself. If you're never making mistakes then that is the biggest mistake of all. For you perfect people, you landed on the wrong planet and I've built a homemade rocket to send you back where you came from.

Text "apology" when you have read this with your name please.

No comments:

Post a Comment