Pages

Monday, April 13, 2015

Mountain View was one of those games where things didn't go our way.  We get a couple different bounces and the game goes our way. We can do it!

The easiest way to begin believing in yourself is to work as if every game's outcome depended on you and you alone. This eliminates blaming others, the ref and cheaters on the other team. The only way to help others be better is to inspire them through example.

From a blog I read the other day "I learned this lesson at an early age…I had a basketball coach take me aside after I finished far ahead of the pack after a long set of down-and-backs. He pointed to a slower teammate who was still running his lines and said, “he may not be as fast, but he’s giving 100% – Did you?” He went on to say, “it takes no talent to hustle and your team deserves better.” I don’t ever remember dogging-it again."

When we watch game film I'm so impressed with the moments when I see someone hustle back, press forward, mark, make runs off the ball, etc. when no one is looking, they are just hustling. I love these kinds of plays and it is so important for the game to tilt in our favor for us to hustle. You guys are working much harder than last year's team.

I remember when I was a senior in high school. We had a decent team, but I swear the first 2 hours of practice was running. It was so painful. We were doing the 10 yard down and back 100 yard ladder drill. Such a painful drill. Most of us cheated because it was just so hard. I remember looking around as a senior, seeing all the people cheating and saying to myself, no, I'm going to give it my all even if I'm last. 

Every drill from there on out I gave it all I had. I didn't notice it right away, but I started to be a standout in the drills, even against the cheaters. I began winning races against kids that were at the beginning of the year, much faster than me. Not only was I faster, but others started to work harder to try and beat me. Every game from there on out went differently. We won region outright the only time ever in PG history. We were arguably the least talented team in our region. We only had 2 players that played in the competition premier league.

I went down to college a couple  years later. I told the other referee before the game that I was from PG. He said he used to ref them a bit and there was some forward with an afro who was the fastest forward he'd ever seen. I told him it was me and he laughed, then I punched him in the face as hard as I could and filled his gas tank with powerade. Well I didn't do the second part, I just said it was me and thanks, then I stole his wallet.

Hustle changes your mindset. It tips the luck scale in your favor. It gives you a sense of satisfaction no matter how the game goes. Hustle isn't working harder than the guy it's pushing harder than you thought you could push. 

A couple examples - Jason's goals against Skyline and Corner Canyon. Vinny being in the right place at the right time for all his goals. Elijah keeping the shutout against Skyline!

You guys are a great team and you can do it!  Text "it's up to me" if you believe in yourself. If I don't get a text from you before end of day tomorrow ere will be lasers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment