Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2015

I think today was the first time I've been heckled by a fan. He kept yelling, "Don't you want to win the game coach?" as I kept telling you guys to leave the ref alone and play soccer. To answer his question, NO, I don't want to win games where we yell at the ref and each other. Soccer isn't about winning, it's about learning. If we won because of an unsportsmanlike play on our behalf, or after playing terrible, the win means much less than a loss that we learn from or a game we played our best.

For those of you that lost your head and got upset at others, apologize, forgive yourself and remember what losing control got you today (benched, carded, Coach Taylor's semi-righteous indignation, etc.). I'm so tired of hearing, yeah but he, but coach, but the ref, but my parents, etc. You wouldn't be on this planet if other people were responsible for your actions. For you gamers, PWN your reactions to these situations.

I just got done reffing a U14 competition game for our fundraiser/service project. The score was 10-2, pretty boring game, but the kids were just glad to be playing soccer. It was a refreshing reminder that although it means everything in the moment, it still is a game. A game that is supposed to bring out the best in us individually and collectively.

Let me show you some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WtyJO9R3I0

I know this was a rough game and losing isn't fun. Could you imagine being Brazil and getting beat 7-1 in front of a country where soccer is religion? It's just part of sports, some games you just get beat badly. The 1992-93 Chicago Bulls won the NBA championship. You weren't born then I know, but ask your parents about it, they'll remember Michael Jordan and his 3 peat NBA titles. One stat that I'm sure you'll never hear is that they lost to the Knicks that year, by almost 40 points. This stat is irrelevant because it's just one game. The stat everyone remembers is that they won 3 titles in a row. It's what you do after the defeat that people remember.

Players of the Game:
Alex Jessop - played his 15 minutes with everything he had, I told him to go in, hustle, press the wing and that's exactly what he did
Anferny Mendoza - pulled him off, told him to start winning balls in the middle and distributing, that's what he did.

Let's win, let's learn and let's love. Text "PWN" to me when you read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment