Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Back in high school I used to love boxing. If there was one thing I knew how to do growing up with 5 brothers and a lot of neighbor boys it was how to take and throw a punch. I'll never forget my first match against a kid about twice my size. He hit me with his hardest punch right off the bat and it didn't even phase me. The match was over in a few minutes as I knocked him out easily and wasn't even tired afterwards. Was he stronger than me, yes, did he underestimate me, yes. This was what happened to us against Corner Canyon. We came out and scored right off the bat and then we underestimated the other team because, hey, it's corner canyon, they haven't won a game all year. They scored not too longer after. Then we scored again and underestimated them again - they scored right back. It took us 85 minutes to win and they almost scored in the last minute. I'l never forget my last boxing match - it was against a kid who was 3 years younger than me. I thought this was an easy match, he was skinny, tall and I'd beaten kids twice his size. I came out hands dropped, not taking it seriously at all. Man, was I in for it, it took me a good 3 minutes before I finally realized that I was going to lose - the same way I had beaten almost everybody was the exact way I was going to lose the match, by underestimating my opponent and not taking the match seriously. Had I boxed the way I always did, this wouldn't have been much of a match, but in the end I was lucky to come out with a draw.

One thing that went well in the match is that we won - we believed we would win and we did. We broke two curses. 1st curse was getting both our forwards to score, now they have - good job Ryan, game winner. Second is that both Varsity and JV won their games.

Player of the Game: Parker Richards with two goals and the goal of the year. Left foot from 25 yards, bending away from the goalie, unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment