Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Provo vs Timpanogos

Provo - 2
Timpanogos - 0

My senior year in high school I was playing with the teammates I had played with most of my life. We thought we were going to take the region by storm. Our first game was against Provo. Despite our best efforts we lost in a shootout in a game we should’ve won.

We were heartbroken, our undefeated region goal was now a thing of the past. We were not used to losing, we had won almost every tournament we had ever entered. The story could’ve ended there with a mediocre season and some wins and losses and maybe a state-qualifying bid.

From there on out we won every region game. We had 2 more shootouts and we easily won them both. We were the first team to ever win an outright region title for Pleasant Grove. The trophy still is in the case and memory has never left me. I’m still proud of that accomplishment and proud to have been a member of a great team.

Soccer has shaped the person I am now. The lessons of physical health, adversity, teamwork, setting and achieving goals, loss, depending on others, doing hard things, strategy, taking calculated risks and trusting my mentors against my own judgement have guided me through many of life’s difficulties.

What you learn from this season is very important to me. I hope you take this loss as an added measure of urgency to be the state-championship team I know you are capable of being.

An old Greek administrator named Periander had an interesting motto, “Practice is everything.” Soccer is the practice that can shape who you will eventually become. It really is that important. How you work at practice, how well you listen to your mentors, how you handle difficult situations, and how you treat your teammates will be harbingers of your life to come. For some of you this is a hearty pat on the back, for others it is a wake-up call to avoid destructive habits that will lead to mediocrity and regret.

We really can reach the goals we’ve set. I truly believe we can or I wouldn’t show up tomorrow.


Player of the Game: Seth Berlin – worked hard, kept his head and contributed to a better tempo on the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment